I am excited to report that more kitchen progress has been made. After getting the last of the 4 cabinets bids back last Tuesday, we booked a cabinet maker on Wednesday and laid down a fat deposit. I don't want to share names of any of the contractors we have chosen until we have the finished products installed, so you'll have to wait a bit on that. But we are super excited as this cabinet maker is pretty much a one man show, came highly recommended (thanks Kirsten:) and came in with a very fair bid. He is in the process of making a detailed 2D sketch of our kitchen. Then he will come over to our place, finalize details and we'll sign off. The cabinets should be all finished in about a month, so we need to get our booties in action.
To prep for these cabinets to be installed, we have quite a bit of work to do:
- finish framing
- re-install dining room built-in
- rip out old floor
- patch large hole in floor (with studs) from old chimney
- install 1/2" ply subfloor
- electrical (that includes getting electrical bids)-hired out
- plumbing-hired out
- drywall-hired out (we still need to get bids-is there anyone you can recommend?)
- new to us back door (purchase & install)
- frame out and install new basement door (we are using the door that went from our bedroom into the kitchen as it is in great condition)
- put in gas line for stove
- put in vent duct work
- decide on pantry pull out shelving placement
- order dishwasher--> hoping to hit up labor day sales this weekend and score a deal
- order cabinet bin pulls
- order hinges for cabinets
- order kitchen sink
- clean up basement so contractors have access-it is one scary sight right now
- Unfortunately, most of this is work that Steve will have to complete. He is thinking he may need to take a vacation day or two in the next couple weeks to get everything finished up. Its a ton of work but I think we are saving about 8k but doing this all ourselves...well worth it for the savings.
We drove (I know, it was awful-especially with a 2 year-old that we are in the middle of potty training. Picture "Mommy, I need to go potty" & high tailing it to the closest dirt road off the highway (don't worry, we had a potty seat in the trunk). All I can say, is thank god for our computer & DVDs) to the Bay area this last weekend and got to attend our close friends' wedding. We also got to visit a few friends in the Sacramento area. Steve was a groomsman and Ben was the Ring Bearer. IT was totally awesome. Great friends, food, amazing libations. I have fun pictures to share but need to upload them all first. Here are a few iphone pix of some cute bungalows I saw in Santa Rosa. Our friends stayed at the bungalow shown in the first two pictures-the wood floors inside had the most amazing inset designs...wish I had snapped pix.