It's already been a week and I managed to work on at least a project a day-enter pat on back. If you recall back to 8 days ago, I challenged myself to work on a house project for at least a few minutes a day to get myself back in the mood of working on the house and get some of those little projects crossed off the list.
|this wall above the toilet is screaming "adorn me"|
Day 9: Tuesday. My friend Chris, lighting extraordinaire came by and helped me hang the awesome light that I bought off of him last month when we were selling things together at a little antique/salvage rummage sale in front of Old Portland Hardware here in Portland.
Well, I love the light, but it has a few issues and most will be able to be fixed pretty easily.
|another view of laundry chute|
|hangs so low that Steve, being 6'2", almost hits his head on it each time he walks by|
- move hideous make-shift "bathroom" cabinet. This requires building a built-in to go in front of the laundry chute in the bathroom-hopefully will get this done in the next 6 months, that will be almost 2 years since we started the bathroom remodel. Timely, right? (enter sarcasm, which I try to use often)
- raise up light several inches and adjust wiring accordingly. Chris is able to help with this but needs to bring over the right tool to do so
- get 40 watt bulbs, easy, just a trip up the street to the local home do-it store. All I had at home was 60 watt and I need sunglasses to use the light right now...got some! way better
- possibly get new shades for the light. The ones on there were free from Chris and are pretty but not quite my style. Thinking of getting ones to match the ones in the bathroom. Harmony is bliss.
- this is the tricky part, it appears that this fixture still has knob and tube wiring and is therefore whonky as is the bathroom light. Needs a new box and wiring. This project will have to wait until we demo our upstairs.
But none-the-less, I heart this light and really think it is pretty. I hope to re-use the previous light upstairs at some point...maybe in the stairwell. However, I don't think the stairwell is equipped to handle any sort of light fixture right now, do you?
|light fixture that previously hung in the hallway and below the shade, ignore dust, I will blame it on constant construction instead of lack of dusting :)|
|looking up our stairs to the attic. check out the hot ceiling work and lovely 80s wallpaper|