|don't think you can see where the holes were bored as we had already patched and sanded|
|Winter 2006/2007-a great project for newlyweds!|
I got a number of bids and went for the cheapest as I figured, how hard could it be? The company seemed just fine and they were punctual in their estimate and arrival. We were also super house poor (we are always house poor but we were really house poor then). We were newlyweds, I was newly employed, started paying the student loans and house loan and oh yea, in SHOCK!!!!! by how much an old house costs to restore.
Anyways, back to insulation. Boy, was I in denial about how hard insulated really could be. Our contractors were terrible. Not only did they blow insulation all over the freakin' house (it truly looked like middle of the summer snow storm)
but they broke holes in our interior plaster in several places. I was shocked and so sad to see this as it is not only costly to repair plaster but so hard to match textures, and well, I love the texture of our plaster.
|this was the largest hole at over a foot in width, luckily it was in the closet and while not a perfect patch, I was able to repair myself|
They also did not figure out that the floor below part of the wall was not closed to the basement, nor did they think "gosh, that is a lot of insulation for one little area, maybe we should stop and see where it is all going" So, later in the day, I found this:
Oh, the perils of home ownership and restoration!
A little insulation project I took on myself over the past month was insulating all the light and electrical sockets on the exterior walls of the house. They were downright drafty and cold before. I found the little insulator sheets (foam) at home depot for a couple bucks total. I had to measure and cut out specially for our super old light switches but it was a quick and gratifying project overall.